Sunday, May 22, 2005

More hunting and world peace

Today was another hunt. Steve, Pam, Kathy and I did the "drag" by walking through the wood squirting anise on the foliage to provide a scent for the hounds to follow. I loaded up on tick spray and didn't seem to collect any of the little pests. The tea was nice and being there after foxing but before the hunt was complete; I helped Debbie get things set up.
In the evening I watched part of a series of "the technology of star wars" that I recorded in HDTV on my DVR. It is a great machine.

At our local election on Tue. a 5th grader gave me a form to fill out for their largest book in the world project. They wanted contributions by answering questions on world peace. My answers are listed below:

What is world peace?

World peace is not everyone liking one another. It is the elimination of armed conflict and especially the harming of innocent people. There will always be sports which are a type of war that is controlled to minimize harm to participants and others.

Will there ever be world peace ?

I believe that the above definition is possible

Has there ever been world peace?

No. I am a geneticist who has studied the development of our species and biological organisms in general. There has never been peace as the animal and plant worlds have always been locked in a struggle or war of survival. If humans can implement world peace for their species it will be a first is all of history.

Where do you see the world in ten or twenty years?

In your lifetime aging and early death will probably be eliminated. You may be the first to live forever.

What have you done to promote world peace?

My wife and I have supported organizations working for the benefit of mankind around the world. I have also visited and worked with people around the world. During the cold war I made a number of trips to the Soviet Union. The major cause of conflict is fear of the unknown. Person to person interaction is the best way to avoid armed conflict.

What advice can you give kids interested in achieving world peace?

Don’t work for the elimination of conflict but because it is basic to all animals and its demise would mean that we are no longer human. Do work for equity in human relations and the elimination of armed conflict that results in harem to others.

No comments: