Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Bio-it day 2 FDA and garden


Garden 5-18-05 lettuce peas kolhrabi Posted by Hello

I attended Bio-it again and listened to the keynote speech of Lysko from the FDA on bioinformatics and its use in FDA drug and device approvals. He didn't seem to like "homebrew" assays but they are an effective transition between research assays and full FDA approved medical devices. It is often the case that the market is too small initially to support a full FDA application so a homebrew assay is required to help people with disease to be effectively diagnosed. If the market is large enough then an expensive and full blown approval can be attempted.

On the way home I bought some kohlrabi plants and put them in my little garden. I hope that the soil is not too acid. This plant from the cabbage family was a favorite of my father.

No comments: