Monday, September 12, 2005

Tenant's Harbor to Boothbay



9-12-05


We had a breakfast of raisin bran and yogurt before setting out. The winds had been strong all night but the boat did not rock excessively. As we left the harbor we got the full force of the wind. Most of the morning it was 25 – 30 kts. We raised the mainsail with a reef and headed toward Boothbay motor sailing. Swells a good deal larger than the deck height of the boat came at us. As we were going into them at an angle it was not as bad as if they were hitting us from the side. The wind was at enough of an angle to allow us to sail close hauled. The are two passages South. One outside ant the other inside some islands. The inside route is shorter but has some very narrow passages so because of the strong wind we stayed outside and got the full force of the wind but there was nothing to hit except lobster buoys. These are buoys are the nemesis of the sailor especially the motor sailor. They can get wrapped around your propeller and damage your boat. I keep a wet suit on board to hop over and cut off or untangle the things. In 30 kts winds in a rock strewn bay this is no fun task. Fortunately after encountering hundreds of lobster pot buoys we emerged unscathed. I did feel one ketch on the rudder but it slipped off. What would be an easy sail requires constant attention and course adjustments to avoid the buoys. It was rough enough that we skipped lunch but made it into Boothbay and the Carousel marina by 3:00.

During the later portions of the trip the batteries did not seem to be charging well. I checked the engine and the belt to the alternator was use but at the maximum range of its adjustment. A new belt was needed as they stretch with wear and I had no tightening adjustment left on the alternator fittings. I called Jack at the Carousel and he recommended Sewell’s auto parts who fortunately had one left in the size I needed. I had dingyed over and so had to dingy back with my new belt. The engine has two belt and of course the one that needed replacement was the inner belt so I had to loosen the salt water cooling pump to remove that belt so I could get at the inner alternator belt. This was done with some difficulty as there is almost no room for wrenches or other tools but with perseverance things were loosened, belts removed, belts replaced and upon starting everything seemed to be turning the way it should. One of the problems is that I had installed a 90 amp alternator to replace a 50 one. The larger generator requires more umpf and consequently wears out the belts more rapidly. I will have to get a back up belt when I get home as Sewell’s did not have more than one but thankfully had at least one.

After this repair Brint and I sat in the cockpit enjoying some beverages and the very warm weather. I am sure that the temperature is in the 80’s under bright sun.

No comments: