Tuesday, November 01, 2005

MRI and Soylent Green

Today I had a head and neck MRI. I was in the machine for about 45 minutes and had some trouble lying still for that period of time. These devices are very noisy and confining. Your head is inside this donut with a set of coils even closer to your face. To make it more bearable they allow you to select music to listen to during the procedure. This is only partially effective as the thing is still banging away over the music. I wanted Elton John but got K.D. Lang. Not too bad but I would have preferred Elton at that time. K.D. is sort of somber. I had to stop the procedure soon after it started by pressing a button because my belt buckle was vibrating badly. They activated the table I was slowly extracted me from the device. I returned sans belt and the procedure continued.

This whole process reminded me of the science fiction movie Soylent Green. This movie was set in the future at which time the world was severely over populated. One of their tactics was to talk people into ending it all at termination centers. The subject would go in and in a pleasant environment they would kill you by chemical injection. You were allowed to choose music and I believe the lighting color or picture you wanted as you passed over. Then your body would be boiled down and made into food bars called Soylent Green. The sanitary environment and choice of music at the MRI center reminded me of this movie. Fortunately I am still here and am not a breakfast bar.

No comments: