Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Aspen Snowmass Powder






Today was another snowy ski day with clouds on the upper slopes. We skied the Two Creeks area concentrating on the Cascade run as it had been groomed last night. This means that under the fresh snow there was a smooth solid base. We did it again and again. However, I have been having problems with my boots. The foam rubber is contracting so it is difficult to adjust them so that they fit tightly. We had tea and coffee at the Two Creeks lodge and I consulted the rental group. They crafted some custom foam inserts that provided the needed bulk to provide a tight fit. I should probably buy new boots but I may get into boarding when we get home and will need new equipment for that sport. I know that I am an old guy but what the heck.

We did a run on Elk Camp Sandy Park after lunch but it was in the clouds so one could only see the trees whizzing by as one hurtled down the slope hoping that there was nothing substantial in the way. The remainder of the day was spent on Two Creeks with and excursion to the West Fork run. Few people know about this run so it was pure powder and great fun. Back at the lodge and after the required time in the Jacuzzi we headed off to the Wildwood steakhouse one road above the mall for a fantastic meal. My snow bunny had prime rib with sweat potato fries and I had wild boar sausage and buffalo (real buffalo) short ribs. I believe that the Wildwood is the best restaurant in the Snowmass area.

No comments: