Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Intelligent design defeated - Getting ready to fly South




From Pennsylvania judge and CNN "We have concluded that it is not [science], and moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents," Jones writes in his 139-page opinion posted on the court's Web site.

On the home front, the furnace cleaning guy made it this cold but clear morning. We are leaving for the South tomorrow and were worried that his visit would be postponed. At this time of year one wants to make sure that things are working as well as possible. He said that our furnace was in superb shape. Such a glowing evaluation of our heating system makes me nervous.

Last year we installed a temperature monitor that calls us if our homes internal temperature drops below 45 degreed F. You can also call the machine for an update including the status of its back-up battery. We are also having people take care of the horses and check out the house on a daily basis. One lady may even stay a few days. Hopefully, the parties will leave the house relatively intact.

I am taking my laptop on the trip but my mother-in-law doesn’t have an internet hookup. But not to worry as I can hook the laptop up to my cell phone. On giving the system a try and it promptly crashed my computer. I thought Microsoft XP would not crash. After about two hours on the phone with the people from Verizon we got it working. The solution was to delete various parts of their software until the computer didn’t crash when the communication software was activated. Another try today showed the system working well but slowly. It only chugs along at 14.4k baud. My first modem communicated at 0.3k baud. Although very slow one could read incoming text as it crept across the screen. Back then there was no such thing as graphics. So, even 14.4k baud is not so bad, especially as I have a ton of unused minutes.

No comments: