Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cycling on the Charles River on the 4th of July

Today I drove into Watertown Ma with my mountain bike attached firmly attached to the rear of my Jeep. Although this is the “4th”, in the morning there were parking places along the river for me, my Jeep and bike. I started west under blue skies and shortly crossed the river heading south toward downtown Boston. The run was complicated as people were appearing in larger and larger groups, some walking, some on in-line skates, some jogging and others on bicycles. I was continually zigging and zaging. My trip continued into downtown Boston with a few detours as paths were closed but certain streets were opened to pedestrian and bike traffic. Crossing over the Charles to start my return trip almost drove me to the North End but I eventually made it over the river. heading back to the car in its shady spot near the shore in Watertown. The temperature was rising but was moderated by a cool breeze. Along the river near MIT a very strange craft came into view. It was a car that had been converted into a foot driver paddle-wheeler. Who says innovation is dead? All in all, the trip was 17 miles and my cardiovascular system endured yet another insult.





No comments: