Thursday, June 23, 2005

Dingy repair and a sail to the Goslings

After a brief stop at Johnson's and a talk with our state rep. Hargraves I took off for Maine. At Brewers John the owner said that they had repaired my throttle on the boat. I got a few supplies and took the dingy out to see if the throttle really worked. It did. The motor on the dingy drags the prop of the motor at the dock and when underway. A visit to the local hardware resulted in a one dollar wooden fence post. I put this under the motor clamp at the stern and it canted the motor so that it no longer drags its prop with the motor is raised. The fence post needs to be shortened and perhaps screwed to the transom of the dingy or replaced with some teak. I also secured the motor to the dingy with a metal fitting so that it will not come flying off at the first big wave. When the mechanic repaired the throttle he must have pulled the kill knob too hard. This loosened the instrument panel and stripped a couple of the screw holes in the fiberglass. I was able to get some epoxy putty at the hardware to fill in the holes. I am letting it set overnight and will drill new screw holes in the morning. The day was warm and the skies were filled with white fluffy clouds. However, the wind was around 20 knots so since I was single-handing I just motored over to the goslings several miles from the marina for the night. There were a number of moorings available and a few boats there for the night. My supper was tofu simulated chicken nuggets sautéed with strips of bell pepper and a salad. The meal was very healthy and didn't taste too bad. I had tossed out the olive oil on board so had no oil. I did have some Colby cheese so I threw some in the pan and the fat in the cheese substituted for the oil and added some good flavor. In the evening I watched a dumb movie about a couple of guys smoking pot and trying to find a White Castle restaurant. Otherwise I listened to NPR.

During the afternoon I had a nice talk with one of my nieces who is doing very well at school. She was recently inducted into alpha society which is the next thing to Phi Beta Kappa. I was Phi Kappa Phi as my school didn't have Phi Beta Kappa. The entry requirements are the same.

No comments: