Friday, August 04, 2006

Bone density analysis and a patient’s medical history


The medical community continues to make progress toward a fully digital future. People may no longer have to struggle trying to read a doctor’s handwriting. I recently talked to a company trying to improve the situation by automating much of the data collection, transmission and archiving in this area. The digital future means that there will be fewer transcription errors and critical information will be available to medical personnel in a timely fashion. There is always the issue of confidentiality but such issues are not insurmountable obstacles. This last year I had too many interactions with the medical community due to knee and back injuries. Several times, I was asked to provide a medical history. It improved with each recitation as additional ancient maladies came to mind. I know I should keep a list no matter how depressing. However, hopefully in the not too distant future doctors will not have to rely on my pain and or drug (therapeutic not abused) compromised level of recall. There should be a living document recording my diseases as they occur that would be available to emergency room and other health professionals as required.

No comments: