Friday, February 03, 2006

Aspen Snowmass – up close and personal with the snow




This morning we started on Sneeky’s on the Burn but the wind was high and cold so we took trestle to the funnel and then up to Elk Camp. After a run down Gunner’s View I decided that I wanted to do Grey Wolf which is the highest run on Elk Camp. Snow bunny decided to do Gunner’s again which was more protected. The start of my run went well. We had snow last night and many places were filled with new powder but as Grey Wolf is exposed, the snow at the top blew off leaving what is euphemistically call “packed powder” which can be as hard as cement. It was cloudy so the definition was not great. I was cursing down the slop making appropriate turns for the conditions when I suddenly hit powder. My turn was too sharp and I got up close and personal with the slope. I am not bragging but it has been some time since I have fallen. I was a little dazed. Why am I not going down the slope? Why is all this snow around me? My right ski came off. I was able right myself, re-attach my ski and continue down the slope. I was still not all there. Soon I hit even deeper powder and assume the prone position. Well, almost prone as my posterior had sunk into the powder so my feet were above my head. The skis had not come off this time so I had to use my poles to get them to release. After removal of the skis significant struggling ensued with little progress in my attempts to reach the surface. Fortunately, a fellow skier came by, offered me the end of his pole and I was upright again. The rest of the descent was uneventful. We had lunch at the hotel and skied Two Creeks in the afternoon. After time in the Jacuzzi, we went to the Silvertree Hotel to hear Twrp Anderson and John Sommers belt our some country classics. As recommended by Dick and Jody we went to the Brother Grill to enjoy and excellent dinner of prime rib and duck ravioli. Tonight we are packing for our flight out tomorrow at 8:00pm. We fly to Los Angles and then on a red eye to Boston. Hopefully, we can get a full day of skiing in tomorrow.

No comments: